The weather news draws a sad face among the runners. Most of us don’t like running in the rain. Just trying to imagine the soggy socks, dirty shoes, flooded and slippery roads makes me cringe. Rain makes it harder to run and it lessens your mileage for the week.
But running in the rain can be fun too. You feel cooler and raindrops falling on your face brings back childhood memories. At the start, you’d feel cold and chilling. But after a few minutes, you’d be warmed up and be speeding off. Try it sometimes.
Here are some tips when running in the rain.
- Invest in a light weight jacket to keep you warm. Running in the rain will be cold especially when the winds are strong.
- Wear a cap. This will lessen raindrops that will hit the face and make you close your eyes too often to wipe them off.
- Don’t wear cotton shirts, shorts or pants. This will be heavy when soaked in the rain.
- You’d be more prone to chafing and blisters. Prevent them by applying oil, lotion or jelly in your prone areas. I’d usually place band-aids in my feet when I run in the rain.
- Be careful of slippery portions in the road. Don’t run too fast to minimize the risk. Avoid flooded areas.
- Rain reduces road visibility so run in well lighted areas.
After the run
- Grab a towel and dry up. Don’t stay wet for a long time.
- Take a hot shower. My favorite part.
- Dry up your shoes. Take off the insoles and shoelace. Stuff the inside with old newspaper. It will absorb the moisture even when the shoes remain indoor.
In a country like ours, you can’t avoid running in the rain. And you can’t avoid getting wet. So prepare for this season. Enjoy the rain. Enjoy the run.NOW AVAILABLE. TAKBO.PH COTTON TEES AND HOODIES. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ORDER.
|5K Training||10K Training||21K Training||42K Training|