I was given a pair of NB 1063 for review. The New Balance 1063 caught my attention this year when it was awarded as the Best Update by Runner’s World Magazine. I have used New Balance before and the new updates made me curious on why the shoe received this distinction.
Here is what Runner’s World had to say:
The wide fit and firm feel that characterized New Balance shoes are things of the past, as this update makes abundantly clear. As with the 769, the 1063 is built around a new last that has less volume in the forefoot and is snug through the arch.
The NB1063 has the common features from my other New Balance Shoes: the N-Lock lacing, Abzorb cushioning, Ndurance rubber outsole and the Stability Web.
For the improved features, NB1063 has updated the Abzorb cushioning system for a more cushioned and comfortable ride. This is one of the shoe that features the latest PL-1 last of New Balance. In simple terms, the last is how the shoe’s upper is attached to its midsole. With the PL-1, New Balance promises reduce toe box volume and better anatomical heel fit. Finally, it has the Cocona Phantom Liner inside the shoe that wicks away moisture and reduce odor. And I though the Cocona is only for their running shirts and shorts.
I immediately took these shoes for a run. So far, I had a total of 20K mileage on the shoe after using it 3 times. Here is my review.
- Very soft feel. As they described it, the New Balance 1063 provided a soft ride. The pads inside the shoes are really comfortable and the shoe cushioning made my runs smooth and easy.
- Great Fit. The N-Lock system keeps the foot in place for long runs. The wide fit at the toes was just right. Not too roomy as the previous ones.
- High Visibility. Reflective materials are all over. Great shoe for running at night or very early in the morning.
- Pogi points. This is one of the good looking shoes out there. When I first saw the pictures in the magazine, it was like love at first sight for me. Very interesting design and form. They come in red, yellow and blue colors.
- Heavy. They say that the 1063 is lighter and less bulky but after using the latest lightweight shoes from other brands, I can tell that this one is pretty heavy and it was noticable. Even heavier than my previous NB trainers.
- Hard plastic. I really wonder why it is only New Balance that is fond of putting a plastic or rubber material at the tongue. Twice, I got chafing on my foot since this material keeps on rubbing on my skin. That is why I don’t put the laces up to the last hole when I use my NBs.
Overall, these trainers will be good for my very long runs. It will remain as a trainer and I doubt if I would wear them on a race especially if I am aiming for a PR. But its cushioning feels great and will be good for a full marathon. They make me feel protected if I plan to run the whole 42K.
The New Balance 1063 is recommended for normal to high-arched runners. Heavy runners will also benefit from the shoe’s cushioning. I think they are great when training for long distance races like a 21K or a 42K.
Where to buy
New Balance 1063 is available in New Balance outlets and in most sports shops and running stores.
Price: 5,795 PhpNOW AVAILABLE. TAKBO.PH COTTON TEES AND HOODIES. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ORDER.
|5K Training||10K Training||21K Training||42K Training|