The first thing you will hear when people sees you wearing a Vibram Five finger Shoes is Ano yan? What is that? Then you go on explaining what the shoe is, what it is for, where to buy them, how much, and all. This makes you an instant representative for Vibram Five Fingers. There will be mixed reaction. People find it weird or cute, uninterested or hyped, willing to try orjust give a nod.
A month ago, I received a pair of Vibram Five Fingers KSO. KSO means Keeps Stuff Out. It adds a breathable upper mesh to completely cover the foot and “keep stuffs out” like sand and small rocks. It also has a strap to secure the fit. KSO is best for running, light trekking, climbing, yoga/pilates & travel. Selling price for KSO is 4,950 Php.
I run with them for a few times. Maybe about 15 kilometers in all. But very often, I would used them for walking and get myself used to walking and running barefoot.
Here’s my review of Vibram Five Fingers KSO.
The strap and the mesh of KSOs provides a secure and comforable fit.
- What a feeling. A human feet is full of nerve endings. If you walk or run barefoot, you’d get new sensations that you have never felt before because you are used to covering them. I would even deliberately walk on
- Great Traction. Vibram has been supplying quality rubber outsoles to other footwear brands. The same Vibram soles are used in their Five Fingers. It has very good traction and grip on the road even if the road is wet and slippery. Thus, KSOs are not just recommended for running, but for trekking activities as well.
Vibram outsoles has very good traction.
- Secure Fit. The strap and the mesh provides a secure and comfortable fit. I did not experience chaffing or blisters while wearing them. I don’t need to worry on untied laces or my shoesfalling off while running.
- Easy to clean. This feature is a big plus for me. I can place my VFFs in the washing machine and they will come out clean. Hand wash is easy too since they are smaller compared to regular shoes. They dry up fast too and be ready for use in two daysor less.
- No need for socks. Saves me some laundry time. And if I don’t have any clean socks around becaused I missed my laundry or they are still wet, I can always put out my VFFs from the rack and go.
- The Ow. Since there is a thin barrier separating your foot and the ground, you can feel the hot concrete when the sun is up. I was using it to cross the road at 12 noon when it was very hot, and I can feel the heat in my feet before I crossed the other side. Good thing running events don’t start at 12 noon here in the Philippines. Or better be sure you are already finished at this time of the day while using VFFs KSO.
- The Ew. If the heat transfer is fast, the same thing when it is cold and wet. On rainy days, your feet will get wet easily. And when it does, your feet will get soaked and will smell like wet socks. They do looks like socks anyway. But cleaning them us is easy. Drying them up is fast as well. You’d be wearing them in 2 days or less.
Water gets in easily in these toe pockets. You’ll get wet even with a light rain.
- Takes time to wear them. I remember wearing them for the first time. I have a hard time fitting my toes in each pocket. After wearing them, I’d usually check if my toes are complete by touching each pocket one at a time. It take time to get used to it but it is fun learning to wear them fast.
- Stares and glares. There’s no doubt people will stare at you feet when you wear them. This makes you look weird. And you’d sound like a geek when you start talking about the benefits of barefoot running, biometrics and foot strikes. So be ready with some facts and figures when you wear the VFFs.
For those who wants to try barefoot running, Vibram Five Fingers are great to start with. They provide protection you need when on the road so you can enjoy the benefits of running barefoot like better foot strike and develop stronger leg muscles. Their KSO model adds a more secured and comfortable fit.
Selling price for KSO is 4,950 Php.
The Vibram FiveFingers are now easily available here in the Philippines. The kiosk is located at Level 1, Powerplant Mall Rockwell Center, Makati City, Philippines (at the bridgeway near Anne Klein).
When you are planning start barefoot running, do not rush and give your feet time to adjust as the muscles in your feet have been encased and protected in regular shoes from the start.
Disclosure: The Vibram Five Fingers KSO were given to Takbo.ph for press release and review.NOW AVAILABLE. TAKBO.PH COTTON TEES AND HOODIES. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ORDER.
|5K Training||10K Training||21K Training||42K Training|