A friend in Singapore told me about a sad news of 25 year old girl who died last Sunday while running the Nike We Run 10K event. She was already near the finish line when she collapsed. She was rushed to the hospital but was pronounced dead. I later read the news at Malaysia Chronicle.
The girl was known to be healthy. It was not her first time to be running. She runs regularly with her long time boyfriend. Both of them are Teakwondo instructors. Both of them are planning to get married this year and even started buying house.
Photo from Malaysia Chronicle
She collapsed at the last 250m of the race. She did not run fast. She even complained being tired early in the race and would walk.
I always feel sad hearing news like this. While running regularly is proven to be healthy, it also has its risks. There have been incidents of sudden deaths during fun runs, marathons and triathlons here in Manila. While most of the sudden death incidents are in the longer distances like 21K and 42K, it may happen also in distances like a 10K. There were even deaths in 5K especially in challenge or obstacles races.
I hope this serves as a reminder to all participants of fun runs and marathons.
Be aware of the risks when participating in these events. Below are some advice from experts on how to avoid sudden deaths. You can read the complete article on How to Avoid Sudden Deaths in Marathon here. These running tips are true for marathons, half marathons and even for 10K or 5K runs.
1. Have yourself checked. Get a regular physical exam to check for health risks. Discuss your running goals with your doctor.
2. Prepare and train for your race. Running looks easy but it can very risky when your body is not well prepared. Find a training plan that is appropriate for your fitness level.
3. Stop running if symptoms are felt like chest pain, dizziness, fatigue, or difficulty in breathing. Ask for help right away from fellow runners or medical staff.
4. Maintain your pace. Do not sprint to the finish line unless you have trained for it.
5. Hydrate. Drink just enough sports drink during the race. Drink for thirst. Avoid too little or too much hydration when running.
Have a safe run.
NOW AVAILABLE. TAKBO.PH COTTON TEES AND HOODIES. CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ORDER.
|5K Training||10K Training||21K Training||42K Training|