Christmas and New Year is coming up in a few days. Whether you are going out of town for a vacation or staying in the metro, here are some tips to keep you fit during the holidays. I usually gain about 2 kilos during the holidays and this year I want to change that to zero.
1. Sign up for a race to keep training. It’s a good excuse when family and friends offer you that extra rice. Signing up also keeps you motivated to run and be active during the holidays. Check out the Takbo.ph Race Calendar for upcoming events for January and February.
2. Download a workout or an activity tracking app. There are great apps for both Andriod and iOS to keep you active during the holidays. My personal favorite are 7 Minute Workout apps. By just spending as little as 7-10 minutes everyday can help you control your weight. I am currently trying the 100 Push Up Challenge app. You might want to try that one too.
3. Explore the area on foot or by bicycle Jog or run or bike (if you have one) around the neighborhood and discover new places/shops. This is a better way to for sight-seeing instead of using cars or taxis. Leave the elevators behind and opt or the stairs. It is a great calorie-burner!
4. Use nature as your gym. Use your surroundings for your workouts: if you are on a beach holiday – swim, snorkel, waterski, play beach volleyball ; if in the city with amazing parks, be adventurous and explore by hiking or walking.
5. Use the gym or pool in your hotel or village. Check out the facilities you can use for free right after you wake up. Working out in the morning will increase your motivation to eat more healthfully throughout the day.
6. Eat slowly and drink up. Drinking enough water during the feast will help you feel full much faster making you eat less. Eating slowly also helps you have better digestion, better hydration, easier weight loss or maintenance, and greater satisfaction with your meals.
7. Set a challenge. People tend to be more motivated if something is at stake. Set a challenge or even a bet. My friends and I have a challenge for the holidays. Our weight on December 15 should remain the same when we get back on January 15. There is a 1 peso penalty for every 1 gram gained during the January weigh in. Everyone is excited.
8. Get more people involved. The holiday season is about being together. So involve everyone into staying active. Signing up for a run with your love ones is a great bonding activity. Even a short daily walk will be memorable if shared together.
|5K Training||10K Training||21K Training||42K Training|